Saturday, August 7, 2010

Me and Meryl Streep

When I was in college my favorite movie was Out of Africa, starring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford.  The beauty of the country of Kenya, the romance of it all, and Meryl Streep's clothing captivated me.  Not once during the numerous times I watched the movie did it ever occur to me to actually go to Kenya.  I was quite content viewing it from the other side of the screen - the other side of the world. 


25 years after Out of Africa hit the theaters, I find myself living in Kenya.  My family's Kenya experience began in July 2003 when God very clearly led us to Kijabe, Kenya for a one month stay. Emily was 5 years old and Will only 4 years old.  Looking at pictures of our first trip to Kenya, I have since exclaimed to my husband, Bob, "I would have never taken them to Kenya back then if I had known how little they were!"  During that month we experienced beauty that left us speechless, suffering that left us heartbroken, and ridiculousness that provided much laughter. We left Kenya in 2003 not knowing if we would ever return.  


Those of you who have had the opportunity to visit Kenya know there is something about this country and her people that find a permanent place in your heart.  It was no different for us.  


After 3 subsequent trips to Kenya, our family moved to Kijabe, Kenya in August 2008.  My husband is an orthopedic surgeon and is working part-time at the 2 local hospitals in Kijabe. I taught high school math at Rift Valley Academy for the past 2 years, but have resigned from that to focus entirely on the children's home we are building.  Emily and Will attend Rift Valley Academy and love living in Africa. Together with Lost Orphans International we are building a children's home called Naomi's Village.  There is more information about what our family is doing on our website (the link is listed above).  It has been an interesting, exciting, frustrating, hilarious, heart-breaking ride in Kenya.  Most days I am touched anew by the beauty, the suffering, or the ridiculousness of Kenya. We do have a website and I also have a facebook.  Recently, however, I felt the need for a personal space to write to help me process this life in Kenya.  I chose a public forum because some of the experiences God allows me to be a part of just need to be shared.  I look forward to sharing life in Kenya, seen through the eyes of this suburban mom, with you - wherever you may be!



8 comments:

  1. Julie! I love this post and cannot wait to read all that you will share. 5 weeks and 1 day until we are there with you!! Can't wait to see you so very soon, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You very much resemble meryl in that movie! I'll never forget the first time you and Bob talked at church and you talked about how dead set on even visiting Africa you were. My how things change. I love you Julie! And your wonderful family,too! Thank you for sharing And being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very happy you have your own BLOG now. I break my no reading BLOGS for a few select few. You're on the list now, dear friend! ~lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blog myself (shocking, isn't it, with all the free time I have! LOL) but I do love to read blogs. SO glad you are doing this! And, for the record, I'm repenting of my jealousy of Courtney, DJ, the Mitchell's and the others leaving in a short time to go back. Seems like we should still be getting ready for our trip! Love you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is really cool, Julie! I am happy for you to blog now & have some space to get it all out there. Our home group is grateful for updates, and I will share this link in the next email I send. We'd like to encourage & support what you guys do over there in any way we can... You guys are truly missionaries on the battle field & I am so proud of you and encouraged/inspired... thanks for keeping everyone in the loop via facebook/website/blog, etc. We love you and are praying for you guys!
    Melissa Demster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your life and what God is doing in your part of the world with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie! I watch you guys "from afar" and am so glad to see your new blog. It's often that I think of you and Bob and stand amazed at all God has done, and IS doing in your lives. I do enjoy your Facebook updates, so it will be nice to read your posts here and get a better feel for the things that are going on in your Kenya life. May God continue to receive the glory in all that you do!
    Cheryl Madon Helliwell

    ReplyDelete